Tales of Tadeusz

Monday, May 16, 2005

Hohenwald News Editorial: Lucas and Republican Presidents

According to NYT's review of Revenge of the Sith:

Mr. Lucas is clearly jabbing his light saber in the direction of some real-world political leaders. At one point, Darth Vader, already deep in the thrall of the dark side and echoing the words of George W. Bush, hisses at Obi-Wan, "If you're not with me, you're my enemy." Obi-Wan's response is likely to surface as a bumper sticker during the next election campaign: "Only a Sith thinks in absolutes." You may applaud this editorializing, or you may find it overwrought... Hat tip to Professor Bainbridge.

I find it overwrought. I also find it in character.

After all, Lucas did not find Ronald Reagan's Defense Department nicknaming the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) "Star Wars" to be at all acceptable, and he sued over such usage. But worse, according to an article on a Skywalker Ranch Tour by George Perry...

Ronald Reagan, then President of the United States requested a tour of Skywalker Ranch but was denied.

That, my friends is some serious rudeness. And a general disrespect, or great animus. I wasn't that fond I'll admit, of William Jefferson Clinton, but if he asked to visit my home, I would certainly have assented. I guess its comforting in a way. In America, one can be a perfectly wrong about many things, and still become a massively successful and rich man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home