Tales of Tadeusz

Monday, June 13, 2005

Hohenwald News: Columnist Lori Byrd

HN Columnist Lori Byrd gives a testimony that a "little person" can rise to great prominence in the blogosphere. Six years ago, she stopped a career as a paralegal, which is an honorable profession, but not one many children aspire to, to become a stay-at-home-mom. Since then, she's been quoted on TV, and had a hundred thousand people read her.

Thats a hundred thousand in one day during peak pre-Election periods.

The quality of your ideas, the grace of your words, and the depth of your knowledge matter more in the Blogosphere than in the outside world which is dominated by proper colleges, and degrees (which often attest that the person was dedicated enough to finish more than anything else.), and connections.

But we can move to a more meritocratic society. Don't believe me? Then check out HN Columnist Byrd right here.

I am a stay-at-home mom with no writing experience except that which I got in college almost 20 years ago. In just one year of blogging, an incredible world has opened up to me. I have been read by hundreds of thousands of people -- over 100,000 per day on some of those days just before the 2004 election. People that I have watched on television and read in newspapers and magazines for years have quoted things that I have written. I was even fortunate enough to have played a part, along with a Texas stay-at-home mom blog reader, in coining a term that might someday appear in my daughters’ textbooks. Best of all, I have received hundreds of e-mails from readers telling me that something I wrote encouraged them to contribute money and to volunteer hours to various political candidates and causes. The blogosphere has opened up a world of opportunities that I never expected and that just did not exist as recently as a few years ago.

28 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home